Our Treasurer is Claire Moll who oversees all income and expenditure for the three Churches.

Our Stewardship Secretary is Geoff Strutt who oversees donations to our PCC funds as well as working with the Treasurer to foresee projected income for the year.  He records ‘planned giving’ payments and reclaims tax paid under the Gift Aid Scheme. Geoff is also our Stewardship Secretary oversees donations of 'time and talents', time and talents is an expression used to refer to any voluntary work done in and around the parish. 


This is the money given to the Churches by members of the congregations and community, traditionally called ‘tithing’ but commonly referred to as ‘giving’.

As well as giving money, you can also give of your time and talents – through volunteering within the parish and sharing your gifts.

  • Donations are confidential to the Stewardship Secretary (and the Treasurer when paid by Standing Order).  No one else has access to these records.

There are several methods of giving; some are more efficient than others.

Bankers’ Standing Orders - these are instructions from you, the customer, to your own bank to specify how much and how often payments should be made to the 'general account' (request details from Claire).

Cheques or cash placed in envelopes, into the collection bowl during services:  Please note cheques need to be made out to " The Claydon's Parochial Church Council" or our bank will not accept them.

Numbered envelopes* are obtainable through Geoff.  The numbers ensure the anonymity of donors; but are recorded for the planned giving totals [they are also useful to reclaim tax see under Gift Aid below].  Please ask for the numbered envelopes when you give at a service regularly [ie once a month or more].

Yellow Gift Aid envelopes* are available in church and are primarily for visitors whose name and address are unknown to us and who pay tax.  By completing their details on the envelope and signing it, we can reclaim the tax.  As a parishioner, you are asked to use this method if you are a tax-payer but only give occasionally. 

Open Plate collections* are the collection plates / bowls passed during services. However the amount you donate cannot be recorded.  If you make a pledge and intend to give regularly this method of giving is not particularly helpful.  Also, if you pay tax then we will not be able to reclaim it.

  • Project donations - If you would like to make a donation to a specific project, such as a Fabric Fund, please contact Claire who will discuss the best way for you to do this.
  •  Bequests - If you are considering making a donation in your will to one of the churches or the parish as a whole, please contact Claire who will be happy to discuss this.

Gift Aid

The Gift Aid Scheme is for gifts of money by individuals who pay UK tax to Charities and Churches.  We take your donation – which is money you’ve already paid tax on – and reclaim the basic rate tax from HMRC on its gross equivalent – the amount before basic rate tax was deducted.  For example if you give £10 to the Church we can claim a further £2.50 from HMRC – equivalent to 20% basic rate tax on your donation of £10.

In order to do this we need to have a signed Gift Aid Declaration from you which remains valid until your circumstances change.  Please see the Stewardship Secretary for a Gift Aid Declaration Form.

  • Service collections - are the collection plates /bowls/baskets passed around during services.   Whilst your donations are completely anonymous this method does not allow us to reclaim the Gift Aid Tax from those who are UK tax payers.
  • Standing Orders – instructions from you to your own bank to specify how much and how often payments should be made.  Please request our bank account number and sort code from the Treasurer or Stewardship Secretary.  Gift Aid tax can be reclaimed on these donations.
  • Numbered Envelopes are obtainable from the Stewardship Secretary.  The numbers ensure the anonymity of donors as only the Stewardship Secretary holds the record of names and numbers.  Gift Aid tax can be reclaimed on these donations.
  • Yellow Gift Aid Envelopes are available in Church and are intended for gifts and donations from UK tax payers.  Please complete the details on the front of the envelope.

Any donations given by cheque should be payable to ‘The Claydons PCC’ – the banks are very specific now and will only accept cheques made payable to the account holder.

If you would like to make a donation to a specific Fabric Fund or project within the Church please let the Treasurer or Stewardship Secretary know and they will ensure that your donation and any Gift Aid Tax is allocated where specified.  It is not possible to donate directly to these funds (for example by making a cheque payable to St Michael’s Church) as they are administered from the main bank account.


There are shared expense for our parish, such as our 'Parish Share',  as well as costs attached to specific things like each churches utility bills. These are all managed by Claire, and paid from a general account.

Sometimes repair work for one of the buildings is needed and this would be taken from a separate account, called a fabric fund. Each church has a fabric fund to cover maintenance work.

The PARISH SHARE is our biggest expense. The Church of England is rather like a club or society, and we as a parish, are required to pay a subscription to the Diocese (a Diocese is a district under the supervision of the Bishop).  Unlike a subscription, though, we would not be expelled from the church if we were unable to pay the full amount. However, we are urged to meet this target if at all possible.

There are several items that the parish share is designed to cover.  These include: 

  • clergy salaries
  • clergy housing
  • clergy training
  • diocesan support to parishes
  • diocesan outreach to charities
  • church schools
  • the national church.

Expense Claims - If you are making a purchase for one of the churches, (such as flowers for an arrangement) please double check with Claire (or other appropriate person),  that it is OK for you to make the purchase. Then retain your receipt and hand it in to Claire with a brief cover note to explain what the receipt is for and who the money needs to be repaid to. Claire will then be able to refund your money as soon as possible.