'UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL'
'LET BROTHERLY LOVE CONTINUE'
The 2014 Annual Feast will take place on 26th May 2014
The PSBS newsletter will be published soon with details of this years Feast Day!
A potted history of the Club...
There was a time, about one hundred and fifty years ago, when practically every village in Buckinghamshire and the other counties of England had a friendly society and possibly more than one. The earliest societies has links with the Restoration and it should be no suprise that the oak tree, oak apple and the oak leaf became their symbols commemorating King Charles II, (of hiding in the oak tree fame), sitting on the throne of England for the first time on 29th May 1660. An annual feast was commonplace and the celebrations focused on the Whitsuntide and the end of May in particular. Members of these societies paid a subscription to their treasurer who invested it at a local bank. Times were very hard and money short so the security of one's family was paramount. These 'self help groups' provided 'benefit'if a member fell ill or was injured. In the case of death money was paid to the widow to help support her children.
The first such society in the village was the Padbury and Hillesden Friendly Society. It was established in 1836 by Reverend William Eyre, Vicar of Padbury and Perpetual Curate of Hillesden, and it met at the White Horse, alehouse, where a special clubroom was made available. In 1856 the membership had grown so much that they agreed to dissolve the society and form two new ones. The Padbury Friendly Society and The Hillesden Friendly Society. The Padbury club as it is affectionately known, continued to meet at the White Horse to pay their subs and enjoy the Feast until the pub closed. Padbury's past two societies were registered with the Government and had to declare their assets to them once a year. In 1899 Padbury Friendly Society could no longer cover their liabilities and they were forced to dissolve.
The Reverend T. K. Norman recognising what good the old club had done for the community, was determined to start a new one. He began with quite a small number of 16 plus young men in the village and against considerable odds, the Padbury Sick Benefit Society flourished. It had served its members in and around the village for over one hundred years, through two World Wars and despite the introduction of the National Health Service, and National and Private pension schemes. Long may the Padbury Sick Benefit Society continue to serve its members and the interest of the village of Padbury.