About Great Horwood
Great Horwood is a parish in North Buckinghamshire occupying 3271 acres and containing two settlements – a medium-sized village (Great Horwood) and a small but separate hamlet (Singleborough). It is located in the north of Aylesbury Vale, 5 miles southeast of Buckingham and two miles north of Winslow. The parish of Great Horwood comprises 1,049 people (2011 census) and 422 homes (March 2012). The village is on a route connecting the A413 and A421 strategic routes. The adjoining parishes are Little Horwood, Winslow, Addington, Adstock, Thornborough and Nash. To the southeast of the village are the North Buckinghamshire Way/ Midshires Way strategic footpaths. The central part of the village was designated as a Conservation Area in 1989. The village core is around 20 metres higher than land at streams to the north and south of the village that effectively mark the edges of the village
Great Horwood (or Horwode Magna) is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1081.The name Horwood derives from the old English words horrh and wude and means “filthy” or “muddy” wood.The name Singleborough means “gravel hill”.
The parish includes the:
Great Horwood C of E Combined School - go to website
St James Church - go to website
The Crown and The Swan public houses.
We also have a village hall, a very well equipped recreation ground and 2 allotment areas.
There are numerous voluntary organisations operating in the parish including:
The Football Club - go to website
The Cricket Club - go to website
Scouts and Cubs
Brownies and Rainbows
and the Great Horwood Silver Band. - go to website